Friday, February 4, 2011

The Latter Rain Reformation

“In the fall of 1947, George Hawtin and Percy Hunt joined Herrick Holt of the North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Church of the Foursquare Gospel in an independent work that Holt had already established…During this time, the students began to gather to study the Word of God, with fasting and praying…on February 12, 1948, God moved into their midst in a strange new manner. Some students were under the power of God on the floor, others were kneeling in adoration and worship before the Lord. The anointing deepened until the awe of God was upon everyone. The Lord spoke to one of the brethren. ‘Go and lay hands upon a certain student and pray for him.’ While he was in doubt and contemplation, one of the sisters who had been under the power of God, went to the brother saying the same words, and naming the identical student he was to pray for. He went in obedience and a revelation was given concerning the student’s life and future ministry. After this a long prophecy was given with minute details concerning the great thing that God was about to do. The pattern for revival and many details concerning it were given.” [1]

“In our journey to the camp meeting we went through the Northern States to the south of Saskatchewan; then up over the muddy roads, ending a trek of 1500 miles to the old Air Force grounds at North Battleford. Upon arriving in the early afternoon of the first day of camp, we found that the afternoon meeting was already in progress. There was little or no activity outside—nearly everyone had entered the meeting hall…The atmosphere was one of expectancy—all eyes were on the speaker. Only one man was upon a small platform which was about 8’ x 12’ and approximately one foot high. This rather singular thing attracted our attention—only one man on the platform and he was standing behind a simple pulpit.”

“In the past conventions and camp meetings, we had always been used to seeing a large platform crowded with preachers. Here was a camp meeting from which was to flow a message and a blessing that would rock the religious world; yet what simplicity. No showmanship, no outstanding song leader, no orchestra or choir, an done man at a time on the platform. The only one exception to this being when someone from the audience stepped up to the platform to say something; then in most cases the one already at the position of the speaker to step aside. Yet the first remained on the platform to resume his charge. This simplicity was the first thing that attracted our attention…The next thing that impressed us was the anointed and authoritative word of prophecy. They prophesied as ones having authority…To say that there were no flaws in the prophecies…would be a mistake. The instruments were beginners and undoubtedly made mistakes, but the manifest sovereignty of God was wonderful.” [2]

“At the invitation of Reg Layzell in Vancouver, British Columbia, George and Ern Hawtin held meetings in Glad Tidings Temple during November 14-18, 1948. Myrtle Beall, pastor of Bethesda Missionary Temple in Detroit, Michigan, traveled 2500 miles by car to attend the meetings, and returned to her church to spark revival there…In February 1949 Dr. Thomas Wyatt of Portland, Oregon, invited the Hawtin party to his church, Wings of Healing Temple, where George Hawtin and Milford Kirkpatrick ministered to ninety preachers from almost every part of North America. One of the pastors attending was Dr. A. Earl Lee of Los Angeles, California, whose church became a center of revival soon after he returned.” [3]

It is from A. Earl Lee’s church that the spark that became City At The Cross was ignited through a man named David Schoch, the founder of what was then called Bethany Chapel on October 4, 1953 on the corner of 6th & Dawson streets in Long Beach, California

“I was born in Pasadena, California, on April twenty-fourth, 1920. I was raised in what is called a classical Pentecostal family. My mother and father received the baptism of the Holy Spirit in Azusa Street. They came out of the German Methodist Church, hungering and seeking after God. At that time God was moving in the city of Los Angeles in what is known as the livery stable on Azusa Street. My father went first with his father-in-law. The Lord baptized them with the Holy Spirit. After that my mother, who was quite opposed at the beginning, was baptized with the Holy Spirit right in our living room. It was quite a delightful thing to hear the story of how the Lord brought my family into the fullness of the Spirit.”

“One of the greatest influences in my life, apart from my father, was a man who had been a circuit-rider preacher in the Holiness Movement. He received the baptism of the Holy Spirit twenty-five years before Azusa Street. He didn't know what he had. When the power of God fell and the message was beginning to be taught, he came to the Azusa Street Mission and there heard what God had given him twenty-five years prior. This man's name was Tom Hezmulhalch. This man laid his hands on my head at the age of seven that I might be baptized in the Holy Spirit. I had just been saved in an old-fashioned tent revival. However, I didn't get the fullness of the baptism and the evidence of speaking in tongues until I was about sixteen. At that time God finished whatever had begun at the time when Brother Tom laid his hands upon us.”

“I had made my surrender to the Lord [1948] and right after that he gave me the privilege of taking over the church in East Pasadena, where I was a lay preacher. The pastor left and I began to pastor it and still worked. As a result of that we had a revival break out. The first six months the Lord gave us an increase, adding twenty-five new converts, the first that had been in the church in three years. After six months, however, the district superintendent of the group that I was associated with--which shall remain anonymous for pertinent reasons which are not edifying--decided that I, being a novice (which was true), should not have a church. He set me aside. In the ultimate I found out that he wanted the church for himself. My wife and I were deeply hurt. It cut to the quick. But I thank the Lord that I had enough of the word in me not to just cast away my confidence totally. We left the church, not knowing what to do or where to go. We were disillusioned with the political maneuverings of men.”

“It was right at that time that we heard that there was something happening over in Los Angeles. I said to my wife, ``Let's go and see.'' It was a Thursday night in 1948. I hurried home from my job, and she and my daughter had everything ready. We just picked up, packed up and went to Immanuel Gospel Temple down on South Flower Street. We walked in at six o'clock, getting the last three seats in the back of the auditorium. There wasn't anybody on the platform, although the auditorium was full of people. There was a holy hush; just an awesome presence of God in that place. Somebody slipped to the piano and began to play, ``Wonderful, Wonderful Jesus.'' I'll never forget the glory of God that came in that place. I'd never heard the song, but it didn't take long to learn it. In about ten minutes, we all stood. As we sang, the glory of God swept over that place. It is just as real and vital to me today as it was the day I walked in and heard it. A tremendous healing came to my wife and me at that moment. For an hour and a half the whole congregation of hundreds stood with hands in the air worshipping.

“That was the first time I ever heard the song of the Lord: spiritual worship and singing unto the Lord. I didn't even know who the pastor was. Shortly after seven-thirty or eight o'clock a group of people came and sat on the platform. Nobody got up; nobody seemed to take the initiative. We began to sing again; well, we hadn't really stopped. We were just singing and worshipping, and they all joined in. I didn't know who was who, but there were three brethren from Canada plus the pastor and his wife. When it seemed as though the Spirit of God indicated there was order of change, a man got up. I learned later his name was Dr. A. Earl Lee, the pastor of the church. He took an offering. For the first time in my life I saw an offering on this wise. He just asked the folks to come and take care of the needs of the visiting brethren by bringing their offering and laying it on the platform. These people filed down and piled what I could literally say to you was a heap of money on the platform. Nobody seemed bothered or worried about gathering it up. They just left it there, and I guess it was a good place to be. It was being sanctified.”

“A man of experience in wisdom in years, I presume he was about forty or forty-five, stood up. He was introduced as Brother George Hawtin from North Battleford in Canada. His brother, Ernie Hawton, also was there, and Brother Milford Kirkpatrick. The three traveled together as a team. That was their first time in Los Angeles. For two hours he spoke from the first epistle to the Corinthians, taking his text from the third chapter, verses one to four: ``because we are divided and because some say, `We are of Paul and Apollos and Cephas,' are we not only children, are we not carnal, do we not walk as men?'' I never had the word laid on me in such a wonderful way, and yet cut so deeply and bring such conviction.”

“After two hours of sitting under comprehensive teaching, the people fell on their faces before the Lord. Nobody left; everybody laid before God, knelt in his presence and sought God for another hour, asking God to forgive us for our carnality, or divisive attitudes and ways. And there was a tremendous healing. This was my first exposure to Latter Rain. These three men, the Hawtins and Brother Kirkpatrick, returned to Los Angeles twice after that first trip. I wasn't closely involved with them, being just a layman in the church. But I heard them. By the way, the term ``Latter Rain'' was not what we who were involved in the revival called ourselves. It was a label put on us by our antagonists and adversaries. They called us Latter Rain because we were preaching Joel 2:25 and 28 and Hosea 6:1-3. Naturally we were talking about rain, about latter rain, but we weren't saying ‘we were latter rain.’ Others categorized us that way. Actually, there was nothing wrong with it. It was a good designation because Jesus is the rain. Our contention is, “Let her rain.''

“Needless to say, we went to church every night from that time on. As soon as I could get home, my wife had supper ready, and she and the girl were ready. We took a pallet, and she slept on the floor. We didn't have nurseries in those days; we never thought about nurseries. For one year we went every night, and God's glory came down, moved upon us and ministered to us. I was still committed to the Lord as to what God wanted us to do. Then in December of 1949, because of the circumstances that we needed to have prayer for, I had just asked Dr. Lee on a Sunday evening if he would just pray for us. “Instead of just praying, he called the brethren of the presbytery together…They laid their hands on us and set us apart as a prophet of God unto the body of Christ. The Lord told me that we wouldn't have to seek for ministry, we wouldn't have to ask for any open door, we wouldn't have to write a letter or we wouldn't need to use the telephone, but God would open the doors for us whereby we would minister. He said we would go from coast to coast and border to border and we would go to the nations of the world. It was then that God had definitely indicated that our prophetic ministry would be on an international basis.”

“I stayed at Immanuel Temple with them until the summer of 1950. Then in a morning service during a convention around July the Fourth, God spoke to us again. It was one of the greatest conventions I think we've ever been involved with. There were two hundred fifty preachers from all across the country: can you just imagine that? Pastor Fred Poole from the Gospel Temple in Philadelphia, the main speaker, was speaking on the last night of the convention. He preached until midnight, but it wasn't because of a long-winded sermon. God was so sovereign that Brother Poole would make a statement, and the people would stand and begin to worship until worship was the predominant thing. Then Brother Poole would make another statement, and people would just get lost in worship again. A prophet from Ireland named Adam McKeowon was in the congregation on the morning that the Lord spoke to us. Pastor Poole was speaking. There were about a thousand people in that morning service. The word of the Lord came to this Irish prophet, who began to call different ones by name and he set them into office. I didn't know this man and he didn't know me, but God knows who you are. All of a sudden the word of the Lord came, and he called my name. He didn't even mispronounce it.

“He said, ``I've called my servant David Schoch to be a prophet unto the nations, and I'm setting him apart and calling him out from secular life.'' And then he prophesied something that was completely a surprise to me. He said that when I was born, my mother had received a phenomenal visitation which had to do with my calling and my ministry. I questioned him, asking whether he had any understanding or any knowledge of what he had prophesied. He said that was all he had received from the Lord. After the prophetic word came, they set us aside and ordained us to the ministry of the Lord.”

“I took this man, Brother McKeowon, home with me at one in the morning. I wakened my mother, who was living in Pasadena, and said, ``I must talk to you.''She said, ``All right.' Then I brought Brother McKeowon in, and I said to her, ``Tell me what happened when I was born. Did God visit you? Was there something that happened to you concerning my birth?'' And my mother started to cry. She said, ``Who told you? I have said nothing to anyone except your father.'' My father had died about three years prior to that. I explained to her how the word of the Lord had come to Brother McKeowon. Then she told me a about a vision that God had given her in relationship to the call of God. I prefer just to leave that between the Lord and myself.”

“After three glorious months in India, I returned home feeling God wanted me to resign from Immanuel Temple and strike out in a field of evangelism. I submitted my resignation without having a meeting to go to. But I remembered the word of the Lord: ``You won't have to ask for a meeting, you won't have to write, you won't have to telephone, you won't have to do anything.'' As soon as I submitted my resignation I got a call from a man up in Watsonville, California, by the name of Fred White. He said, ``I want you to come for a meeting. Are you free?'' I said, ``Yes, I just resigned.'' I went up there and held my first meeting, staying with him six weeks. I had no other meeting, but about the fifth week a phenomena began to develop. I began to get calls. When I was in prayer, the Lord spoke to me and said, ``This would be my indication to you that it will be time for you to move on. When it is time to move on, I will begin to send to you invitations. ''So I said, ``Thank you, Lord. I appreciate that.''

“I would spend sometimes two or three or four weeks, or maybe one week, at a place. God gave us visitations, pouring out his Spirit. We had tremendous blessings, and God gets the glory. It wasn't through any ability or talents of my own; it was God using us in obedience to his word and to the call. Just about a week before we were to close out a meeting, I'd begin to get calls. My problem wasn't where to go next in the sense of looking for an open door. My problem was which door that was open should I take. Which would be the will of the Lord? My wife and I and our little girl traveled for a year and a half that way, my wife teaching our daughter as we went. We never lacked one single opportunity for a meeting.”

“In fact when I came to Long Beach on October fourth, 1953, I came only to start a revival in an empty Lutheran Church. There were six people that asked me and wanted me to come and pastor, and I said, “Well, let's see what we'll do. We'll start the work, and we'll see what God will do.''…He said to us he would make us a fountain of many tributaries; that out of it would flow many, many streams of life. They would come and stay with us for a season, and then, he said, ``Don't hold them, but release them. Let them go.'' This is what we've tried to do, in order that they would find the level of God's will for their lives, and in so doing they would be able to serve God according to his call.” [4]

“October 4, 1953 Sunday morning finally came. The Lord impressed Pastor Schoch to not write any letters, advertise, or invite anyone to church. He would bring those of His own choosing. At 10.00 a.m. they gathered for prayer. Service was scheduled to begin at 11.00 a.m. While praying, Pastor Schoch could hear people coming in and sitting down, but he couldn’t bring himself to look up and see what was going up. After praying for an hour, Pastor Schoch got up to begin the service and much to his delight, fifty people were sitting in the congregation! They had three services that first Sunday with 125 people in the first Sunday night service. Two weeks after that first service, a Sunday School program began with 90 people in attendance. The Holy Spirit broke out upon the congregation, a revival had begun, and it lasted for six weeks. During that time 25 people gave their hearts to the Lord, 25 backsliders were restored, and 25 people were filled with the Holy Spirit.” [5]

Reformation Focus Points

It is important to remember that the Latter Rain was birthed out of a desire for the Pentecostal movement to continue in accuracy. “Discouraged by waning spiritual fervor and the relentless institutionalization and professionalism of North American Pentecostalism, they viewed their early history as merely having set the stage for a greater event and opted once again to believe that in their day, the restoration of apostolic power would be realized. They discovered—as their forebears had—that emphasis on the latter rain and restoration involved implicit and explicit indictment of their fellow believers.” [6]

“This visitation of God is the fulfillment of Hosea 6.3…it is Jesus appearing to His Body.” [7] Hosea 6.1-3: “Come, let us return to the Lord. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us. He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day, that we may live before Him. so let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth.”

Therefore while emphasizing the Pentecostal doctrines birthed in Azusa Street, the Latter Rain reformation pushed away from what was considered inaccurate in it, and into that which was still not restored

Restoration

“The Church lost everything spiritual and God has for years been fulfilling prophecy and restoring these spiritual truths, virtues and powers that were done away. These Scriptures show the promise of restoration: ‘And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. Joel 2.25’…God began to restore in Luther’s day with the foundation of ‘the just shall live by faith.’

“Notice that Luther, like Ezra and Nehemiah, did not make a new foundation, but merely cleared away the garbage from the one that was already laid. God has been restoring each truth, step by step, as the church can absorb it…With each step of restoration comes opposition and usually from the ones who were used of God to restore the last step. All through church history this has been true. The persecuted of the past now become the persecutors of the present…Each time there has been a restoration, it was Jesus appearing. Some forty-five years ago (1907) He appeared in the great revelation and experience of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. At that time, the message of the Body coming together was proclaimed. Men who are now fighting for their organizations were outspoken in preaching that this new visitation of God must never be organized. ‘How the mighty have fallen!’” [8]

Unity of the Body

“What is the primary message of the Latter Rain and what is the immediate objective? Its greatest message is ‘That they may be one as We are…that the world may believe.’ The world is actually to see the Body one, not only in spirit but in reality. Today only the eye of faith can see it. Some day the natural eye will behold it when the delivering company have reaped the reward of faith. God always some who see His purpose completed by faith before others can see. The primary message is the Body coming together as one, physically and spiritually. Let all who will, laugh or scoff; but it shall be, nevertheless, because Jesus prayed for it.” [9]

“Naturally, this message caused tremendous opposition. There are thousands of jobs and positions at stake—religious political systems are to tumble. This latest move of the Lord’s is to free God’s people from building treasure cities for others. This is raising the wrath of the Pharaohs.”

“The ascension ministries are now coming to the front. Read what they are for and how long they function. They are to function until we come to the unity of the faith. They are to have as their supreme objective and ministry ‘bringing unity among the members of the Body.’…The denominational walls and the doctrinal walls must come down. One cannot say to the other, ‘We agree, but you must join our denomination or accept our doctrine…My brother and sister, this visitation could never be taken into a denomination. Its very message would of necessity tear the walls down. You may take in some of the Pentecostal blessings which were lost and received (this is all that many have taken in), and yet you could never take the message in. It contains the same dynamite that brought down the walls of Jericho. You cannot preach ‘The Body is one’ without breaking down walls of division. No wonder there is so much opposition.” [10]

Laying On Of Hands

“The laying on of hands is a fundamental doctrine of the Church, being one of the foundational doctrines outlined in Hebrews 6…God is now moving to restore the third of the doctrines outlined in Hebrews—the doctrine of laying on of hands. It is just the beginning—the fully glory, and the power of it, is yet to be revealed. The hangers-on, the blessing-seekers, the scoffers, the testers, the unbelievers, are being shaken so that only the true will remain. This visitation from God is no different than the others. The hue and cry is coming from the formalists, the same protests and even the same words are used as were used against every other visitation—the only difference being that the accused of the past are now the accusers!” [11]

“The laying on of hands is not to build the pride of individuals or to satisfy their ambitions, but rather it was the receiving of our equipment to carry out a calling…All ministries did not take in the laying on of hands—only those whom the Spirit indicated had such a ministry. It was generally recognized as the ministry of prophets and apostles….The ministry of laying on of hands and prophecy were the major ministries used to impart gifts and to impart the Holy Ghost. We realized that through this great ministry of ‘laying on of hands’, God was going to bring His Body together. All who had hands laid upon them were no longer independent, but there was a great dependence on one another.” [12]

Biblical Praise

“Jesus told the disciples to wait. Notice two things about their waiting. First they obeyed. Second, notice how they waited…The 53rd verse of Luke 24 now tells us how they waited. ‘And were continually praising and blessing God’ They waited together, praising and blessing God. When we know the Scripture this is easy to understand. Psalm 119.171 says, ‘My lips shall utter praise, when Thou hast taught me Thy statutes.’ Notice, when? You see Jesus (God) opened their understanding or taught them His statutes. We might ask the question, ‘Why did they praise God?’ We give two Scriptures of the many available on this subject of waiting. Psalms 65.1 – ‘Praise waiteth for Thee, O God, in Zion’. Praise is waiting; also, Psalm 22.3, ‘But Thou art holy, O Thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.’ Jesus lives in our praises!”

“The early church had unity first in spirit, they were all worshipping Jesus. What greater unity can a church have than all praising and blessing Jesus? Can you with the same breath praise Jesus and murder your brother? We all know that we cannot. Do you want what the early church had? Then follow its steps to perfection…Notice they were all one—not just a few in the front benches, but all every last one of the 120 were praising and blessing God…Before the glory appeared, and the city was stirred, they came to one place, losing all ambitions and personal feelings, to just worship Jesus.”

“Jeremiah 33.11 tells us that this same condition will be restored as the end time appears. A restoration of praise, a restoration of joy, and a restoration of the sacrifice of praise, preparing the way for a restoration of the power that followed the Day of Pentecost…In Hebrews we are told to offer the sacrifice of praise continually—the fruit of our lips. Note it is from the lips or mouth…120 brethren gathered together in unity…All heaven was aglow. The thing the heavens were waiting to see on the earth was before them. Here was the fulfillment of Psalm 133, the unity was (as is only possible) around Jesus, worshipping Him. God speaks? No—He does more than that—HE COMMANDS A BLESSING. He even goes further—He comes Himself as the God of fire and sits on each member in unity. They each one become the habitation of the God of fire…All because…they saw only Jesus and worshipped Him. Are you ready for the same again? Where do you stand on Biblical praise. Which will you have—fire or your own way?” [13]

Dick Iverson, former pastor of Bible Temple and founder of Ministers Fellowship International writes about the impact of Latter Rain worship seen the early 1960’s in his book The Journey, A Life Time of Prophetic Moments saying, “The ‘latter rain’ movement, as I have emphasized, was characterized by the Holy Spirit’s emphasis on prophecy and the laying on of hands, as well as the ‘sacrifice of praise’ form of worship…Just the mere rumor that our church might be a part of it was enough to bar our participation in the Pentecostal ministers’ association. In the beginning, when Edie [Iverson’s wife] had sent letters about this movement, I had been opened to it. Over time, however, things had changed and I had come to see more of the charlatans than the good. That’s why what followed was all the more amazing and I can only praise the Lord for it and for my wife who never forgot what she’d seen and heard and didn’t fail to preserver in her persuasion

“As we pursued our pilgrimage to various churches, Edie was eager that we visit two other churches in particular pastored by two men she had seen minister in Canada—David Schoch and Reg Layzell…My first encounter with David Schoch was, in fact, one of the those key prophetic moments in my life—in more ways than one. Brother Schoch was not only a pastor, he was a prophet. I still remember being with my family in Long Beach, California for the first time. Bethany Chapel [City At The Cross] was an older, traditional building which seated about four hundred. The auditorium was packed and, as the worship service began, the presence of the Lord was powerful. Being raised in a Pentecostal church, I had heard praise before, but this was different. They worshipped the Lord the Lord by lifting their voices and singing praises to Him, spontaneously, both in known and unknown languages.”

“At first I thought it was tremendous, but only for a short while. Soon I found myself becoming agitated. In fact, I wished that they would stop. I had never experienced prolonged praise before, and it just went on and on. After a time, the spontaneous season of worship died down, and several prophecies were given. Then a great volume of praise began again. I remember shifting from one foot to another, waiting for it to finish, eventually realizing that maybe it wasn’t going to end for a while. In my irritation, I began to judge the church and criticize its unusual worship.”

“At that point the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, ‘What’s wrong with what they’re doing?’ I replied, ‘Nothing is wrong. They’re lifting their hands, singing, and worshiping the Lord.’ Then the Spirit said to me, ‘Why don’t you do it too?’ So I lifted my hands and joined in singing songs to the Lord. For the first time I really worshiped Him. The ‘fountains of the deep’ in my spirit broke loose. The heavens opened, and I found myself in the presence of the Lord in a way I had not experienced before.” [14]

Body Ministry

“Many hours were spent around this subject both in teaching and in actual operation. It was unique and new to most of those present and therefore very attractive. The central Scripture for this subject was 1 Corinthians 14.26. this Scripture was interpreted to mean that when the church came together, each member should be ready to contribute something to the meeting. They were to contribute something that would edify the other members present. In this way they were to serve one another.”

“Each member should always be ready to minister both to the unsaved and to the church. The position was taken at the camp that all should come to the meeting with something ready to contribute. This was repeated, over and over again and stated that the day of the ‘one-man’ ministry was over. Each member was now expected to have light and revelation flowing to edify the whole body.”

“Some would do this through a prophecy or through a tongue followed by an interpretation. Others would speak by revelation; there would also be those who would minister by knowledge…There would be the ones who would just read the Scriptures or a psalm which fitted into the tone of the meeting. A song of songs would be sung which had been received by revelation such as a ballad or an ode. Still others would sing a known song that was very appropriate. All this without a given signal from the leader, but as they were led of the Lord.”

World Vision

“The vision of the first camp meeting was a world vision NOW! Calls were prophesied, money was raised, some were sent…The praise and worship of Jesus was the order of the services. The Word was taught with authority. Over and over again it was emphasized that the old organizational leadership was over—now the Holy Ghost would rule. Through the laying on of hands and prophecy each member of the Body of Christ was to receive the gifts of the Spirit. We understood that God was recruiting his last day army. Prayer and fasting were the order of the day. Saints and ministers met on common ground to seek the Lord. These were days of rejoicing and God-consciousness. The spirit of prophecy was everywhere in evidence as was the spirit of revelation—making God’s Word to live in the midst of the people. The field of labor truly was the World. From the very beginning the World Vision burned. We had visions of God’s army going forth, directed by the Spirit and fully equipped for battle. For the purpose of reaching the world, money flowed freely and offerings reached up into thousands of dollars were received easily and frequently. The people had a vision and a mind to fulfill it. Praise the Lord…There are many people who KNOW that God visited His people…When a train leaves a track the very next job is to get it back on again. Every revival God has sent up to the present hour has at some place gone off the track. I do not know one single one which has not done this. And worse still, I do not know of a single revival movement which ever got back on again. Each time a revival goes off track God has had to start another one to begin where the last one went off. What a tragedy! Yet this is all too true. These articles are being written with the hope that we will stay on track of God’s choosing which He gave us in the beginning.” [15]

A Call To Remembrance – Reg Layzell, October 1958

“Eleven years ago a real stir gripped the churches in the land. Some churches were stirred with apprehension—a nervousness gripped them. Other churches were stirred with anticipation—expectancy gripped them. Both groups were affected by the same thing. A revival had broken out, God was on the move, another step in restoration was breaking upon us. As was the case in the day of Pentecost and with every succeeding revival up to the present time, the groups formed two camps. One camp heard the glorious things of God, the other said that are filled with new wine—they meant they are drunk.” One group saw an answer to their much prayer and fasting. The other group saw a threat to their carefully built treasure cities. One group almost recklessly threw open their doors and their arms to receive the rush of the Spirit of God. The other ground sounded an alarm and a call to close the gates and tighten their grip on their possessions. One group followed the experience of all revivals greatly blessed of God Sings and wonders were done by the Holy Ghost and in some cases error and wild fire crept in. The other group so shut themselves in that not even the Holy Ghost could penetrate their defenses.”

“Now the first group, still blessed by God is going forward and accomplishing the purpose of God. They have stopped and taken inventory of their ways and spiritual possessions, they have taken a look at what God challenged them with in the beginning and are returning to the great challenge of the revival and the first camp meeting. The other group is glorying in their earthly possessions and both are miles apart in spiritual actions. Time alone will tell who has followed God in His way. God help us to see God’s vision for this hour and follow on. The challenge of the Spirit has not changed. God moved in this revival for a purpose; He will not veer from it. He will perform what He purposed to do. He will have a people who will follow and fulfill the last day vision. “The challenge of God in the beginning of this revival (and still is) the same as in every revival. First, a fresh call to worship the Lord Jesus. The first and greatest commandment of all to be carried out is worshipping Him with all our four faculties. These four are: the heart, the soul, the mind, and our strength. The heart (our deep inner feelings), the soul (our emotional nature), the mind (the reasoning part of us and the faculty where faith must start), and our strength (no quiet, sedate, half-hearted effort here, but the suggestion is that we tire ourselves out worshipping Him). A new experience in God was introduced by the Spirit as He restored that wholesale, whole-hearted worship to the Lord. This wholesale praise brought a new experience in God. The sacrifice of praise lifted the church to new heights in God.”

“No longer did our feelings rule us. No longer did we praise God only when things went good and we felt good. The church began to catch’s David’s vision of the goodness and mercy of God. The church began to realize that faith was above our feeling. God had divorced faith from our feelings and now at last we could have a steadfast faith irrespective of our feelings. The church began to realize that God was raising up David’s army and like David, they were called to be men after God’s own heart. If you are hungry and thirsty you will hear the joyful sound of the manna and rain and plunge in. He is coming again as the rain upon the mown grass.”



[1] Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1988), p. 532.

[2] Reg Layzell, The Pastor’s Pen (Vancouver, British Columbia: Mission Publishing, 1965), p. 8-9.

[3] Dictionary, p. 533.

[4] From the personal recollection of David Schoch.

[5] Preserving the Past, Forging the Future, pp. 4-5.

[6] Edith L. Blumhofer. Restoring the Faith (Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1993), p. 202.

[7] Reg Layzell, The Pastor’s Pen, p. 69.

[8] Layzell, p. 74-75 (1952).

[9] Layzell, p. 77 (1952).

[10] Layzell, p. 81 (1952).

[11] Layzell, p. 60-61 (1952).

[12] Layzell, p. 66-67 (1951).

[13] Layzell, p. 156-159 (1953).

[14] Dick Iverson. The Journey, A Lifetime of Prophetic Moments (Portland, OR: Bible Temple Publishing, 1995), pp. 104-106.

[15] Layzell, p. 2-3 (1954).

3 comments:

  1. I hope you will be content to leave this information available on the Internet since it is the most extensive and detailed history I have found. A most valuable resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember that Adam McKeown was the brother of James McKeown who had a wonderful apostolic ministry in Ghana, which is still bearing fruit. They were in the Apostolic Church, which I think had many similarities to the Lattter Rain movement: prophecy and the restoration of the five fold ministry among them, if I am not mistaken. It was birthed out of the Welsh Revival - again, if my memory serves me well. There's a book about James McKeown called Giant in Ghana by Christine Leonard, which is well worth reading. Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good and informative read.

    ReplyDelete